Monday, December 14, 2009

my latest obsession

For those who have been following our blog for a while, you may remember that I made a goal a little over a year and a half ago to always have an art project in the works. As a result of that goal, I started painting again and displayed my work at a local art walk.
It was a really fun experience. I just sat there, painted a little, and played my mandolin while people walked by and made nice comments. I sold one painting, but it was to my mom, so it doesn't really count. I kind of misjudged the venue. We went to an art walk in West Seattle, and it was a very fashionable wine and cheese event. The Renton art walk was more of a beer and Cheetos event.
Without being too big of a jerk, let me just show you what did sell at the art walk:

It was a fun experience anyway, and I'm excited to submit my work to a few other art walks around Seattle.

Last spring, I won a mini-scholarship to the Art Institute of Seattle, and I just finished taking my first class. It was an illustration techniques class, and it was a lot of fun. Here are some of the techniques we learned:

Bleach on dark colored paper.
Scratchboard.Airbrush and prismacolors.
Screenprinting.

It was such a fun experience. Engineering classes were fun and all, but I'd much rather spend hours in an art studio working with my hands.

Finally, I put some work into creating an online portfolio so I can market myself to the art walk organizers and patrons. Here's the background on the name upstARTIST.org:

I've always felt a little strange using the term artist to describe myself. Besides "Intro to Watercolor" at BYU, I don't have any real training, so it feels a little pretentious to call myself an artist. But that kind of attitude doesn't get you anywhere. When I think about "real artists" the word upstart comes to mind.

upstart |ˈəpˌstärt| a person who has risen suddenly to high position, esp. one who behaves arrogantly.

So even though I still feel like an impostor, I remind myself that I need to assert myself as an artist in order to become one.

The exciting news for today is that I just sold my first painting (to a non-family member). I guess that makes me legit.

9 comments:

Ellingsons said...

Brad, those are awesome! Congrats on selling your first piece.

jamie t. said...

That is great about selling your first piece. You have to start somewhere right? Can't wait to see more!

Anonymous said...

Hey, those look pretty awesome and legit to me! I'm impress that you are working to support your family and still taking care of yourself by keeping up on hobbies. Kudos!

HayleyKirkland said...

That Manor Market piece is incredible Brad! I also think I am entitled to the Coltrane one...just a thought

faith said...

Those are really good. Congratulations on making your first "real" sale! I look forward to hearing more about it. Looks like fun.

Esther/Mom/Grandma said...

I think you are very talented! You could probably sell some of your work to me :)

Brandon and Natalie said...

Those pictures are amazing! You are very talented!

Wendy said...

you're an artist. i have always been impressed.

Chelsea said...

I might get you a beret. That would make you legit.