Saturday, June 21, 2008

Painting Again


oranges (very clever name)


Marimekko shower curtain print


Santa Barbara Mission

I recently decided to start painting more. I usually do one or two paintings per year, which makes it hard to improve my technique. I'm still using the small tubes of watercolor that I bought in 2000.

I was inspired to start painting again when I looked at an old friend's blog. He just finished art school, and got a great job. He is incredibly talented, and way more passionate about art than me, but I admit that I'm a little jealous.

I've always had this idea that I'll make lots of money, retire early, and then dedicate my time to painting. I don't know how I came up with such a stupid plan! That would be a pretty pathetic existence. My new plan is to always have a piece of art in the works. Even if I'm not actively painting, drawing, sewing, sculpting, etc. I want to be planning the next project.

Ultimately, I think it would be cool to get a few paintings into a small gallery around here. If anybody has any experience with that, I could use some advice.

5 comments:

Sellers' Blog said...

The paintings are awesome! I didn't know you had this talent. Good for you for keeping it in the works.

HayleyKirkland said...

I didn't know you sewed

jstjensen said...

Nice paintings! I have a friend who is a professional fine arts photographer. When she was living in Seattle, she joined the Gallery 110 artists collective (www.gallery110.com). The gallery is located in Pioneer Square. You have to submit work and get accepted first. I think there are monthly dues and other participatory requirements, but you get to exhibit your work there...and preparing for shows is good motivation to keep working.

. said...

Brad, to me you are one of those people I admire a great deal for your continued reaching for something. thanks, youre the reason i get out of bed every morning. by the way, i just downloaded "shake, shake, shake" by KC & the sunshine band... not gonna lie, i have had it on repeat for like an hour and may have been doing a little shaking of my own on my own, love it! and i dont know where you are getting your intel, but Santa Claus got out of the toy biz in 1987, he is now really into restoring old camaros in his garage on venice beach.

Ellis said...

Great work, keep it up (just like you were saying that you want to)