
I went to Pittsburgh last week to present a paper at a conference with my former graduate adviser. On Sunday we drove to Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water. It was incredible to be at the mecca for modern architecture, but I was sad that Meg wasn't there. Hopefully we'll be able to go back someday.
The house was so incredible. I've read about it a hundred times, but it was so fun to see it in person. Walking through the house, there is this incredible rhythm of constrictions and releases. The hydraulic engineer in me immediately saw the similarities to the river running below the house (we were also the annoying people on the tour asking about flood levels) .
Pittsburgh was a beautiful city. I saw a lot of it, because I got lost on my way to church. I walked 1.5 miles in the wrong direction until I called my sister for help. I and had to run 2.5 more miles to get to sacrament meeting on time. There is nothing like arriving to a meeting covered in sweat. Here are some pictures that I took of the temple of learning at University of Pittsburgh.
9 comments:
I'm so jealous! I've always wanted to see that house in person--it fascinates me! That is so awesome that you got to go.
Hey, Pittsburgh is only a couple hours from here! We go there for IKEA, but maybe we should check out those cool things instead. :)
Those are two beautiful buildings. Thanks for sharing. What a great chance to see those. I was thinking yesterday about sending you a BMW commercial with Frank's house in it. I can't find it online but you can see it in a podcast. In iTunes go to the store and search for TED, it's BMW's idea conference they hold every year. Take a look at the last minute of any of the early episodes and you'll see the commercial, I really like it. Plus I think you should subscribe to the podcast, it's my favorite one.
and did you draw Meg in Flash?
Yeah I drew her in flash, and I just noticed that the inside of the legs are a different color. I was going for Wright's signature color "cherokee red".
i like your dance. i like your beats. i fix your photo.
WOW! That must have been amazing! FLW is a big deal here in Arizona... Love the video of Jane singing. Too cute! And Brad's painting are amazing! I'd really like a shower curtain like the painting please. :)
We just got back from a little road trip to Pittsburgh ourselves, so it was fun to see your pics as I was checking on blog updates from while we'd been gone. I'm glad Brad got to go to Falling Water, but Meg-- you've got to go sometime too :)
Falling Waters is really cool. Adrian and I were once backpacking in Pennsylvania and just happened upon it. It was very cool and a bit surreal.
Make sure and let us know if you make it out to NYC ever.
Post a Comment