Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Gingerbread Eames Chair



Meg and her friends made gingerbread houses and cookies last week. We had some gluten-free gingerbread dough left over, so I decided to make something. I decided to make an Eames molded plywood chair.

I made the seat and the back rest first, and they looked perfect. Then I made the legs. In the process attaching the legs to the seat, there was some major crumbling going on. I made some beefier legs reinforced with foil, but I still didn't know how to attach them.

I tried using Elmer's glue. Big mistake. It turned the whole chair into mush. Here's a picture of what was left after the collapse.



*a strange note on the topic of chairs: We are currently picking out some new chairs for our dining room, so I've had chairs on my mind lately. I dozed off last night and had one of those immediate dreams.

[cue the dream music]

A Bertoia Diamond Chair walks into Albertsons where Meg and I are standing in the self-check-out aisle. The chair has arms and legs like the California Raisins. It walks up near us and sits down in a Nelson Coconut chair. The Bertoia Chair turns to me and says "even I need a comfortable chair to sit in every now and then."

It wasn't really that funny, just odd. What did Meg put in that gingerbread?

5 comments:

Greg said...

That dream is worthy of submitting to Reader's Digest. With the money, you could buy a repro Eames chair. It is neat looking.

HayleyKirkland said...

Chairs are only as good as the chairs they sit in.

ashley said...

Hey guys......this is Ashley Silk Johnston. Brad's cousin. Okay, no longer a closet reader!! Robin gave me your link that she had to tell us to go check out some funny videos of Jane. HILARIOUS! And now I check back every now and then........always meaning to post a comment, but then I never do/don't have time/hands are full of babies/etc. Anyway, you guys crack me up and I love seeing how everything is going. And the dang creativity is just endless with you guys. Wow!! Hope you don't mind me checking out the blog. And you're more than welcome to check ours out too. It's set to private though, so send me your email and we'll send an invite.

Take care.....and Merry Christmas.

joh05058@gmail.com

Natalie said...

I'm not sure if Meg remembers, but I have a (some say) weird love of chairs, and that Eames is one of my favorites. It's nice to know that someone else dreams about chairs too :)

Ellis said...

That dream was hilarious. Remeber to get some chairs for your new chairs.