Sunday, October 21, 2007

Los Angeles is Burning

It's that time again. Fortunately, my parents' house didn't catch on fire. My parents are visiting us in Seattle this week, but Hayley called to tell us about the fire. Hayley's friend Jackie was already on her way to save our photos and important documents. Jackie's boyfriend immediately started putting out small fires on our hillside. They hosed down the hill and moved our furniture into the middle of the room in case our home had to be hosed down. They got our valuables and were going to take off, but they saw some mexican gangs walking up the street apparently looting the neighborhood. They stayed in the house until the Sheriff arrived to secure the area. The fire eventually blew past the neighborhood.

Here's a little diagram based on their description. I guess I won't complain about all the rain in Seattle. It could be worse.

5 comments:

Denise Stears said...

Wow, that is scary to see how close the fire got to your parents house. It's such a beautiful home. Those fires just won't quit.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, I can't believe how close that is. I'm sure your parents are freaking out right now! Yet another benefit of living in Western Washington, there isn't much threat of fires.

Brianne said...

I'm glad someone was there to take care of your parents' house for them. I hope the fires continue to stay away from their house. That is so scary!

Susan said...

We're back from Seattle and found that everything is fine here in Canyon Country. All the hills are black and naked except our slope behind our house. The looting suspects weren't on foot. They were in a van. OUr first report was that they were on foot. But, they were ushered out of the neighborhood and no one lost anything to looters while the evacuation was in progress. We're really grateful we weren't burned out. The burned out homes a mile away are a grim reminder of how close we came. I had some pretty important family history documents in our house and I"m glad they weren't burned.

Shelbi said...

ahhhhhhhhhhh THAT LOOK SUPER SCAREY IT ALSO LOOKS LIKE WHERE BRYANTS PARENTS LIVED JUST BEFORE THIER LAST MOVE...WE;LL HAVE TO TALK. ANYWAYS I'M GLAD i FOUND YOUR BLOG! :)