Friday, November 16, 2007

Hooray for Oatmeal!



I have always loved oatmeal. When I was four, I woke up really early one morning (4 or 5 am) and asked my mom to make me some oatmeal. She told me that it was too early to make oatmeal and told me to go back to bed. A few minutes later she woke up to a phone call from our neighbor down the street. The neighbor informed my mom that I was sitting at their kitchen table eating some oatmeal.

My oatmeal days ended when I was diagnosed with celiac disease. Although oats don't contain gluten themselves, they are grown and milled together with wheat, so they aren't gluten-free.

Meg discovered a place that sells certified gluten-free oats. I just had my first bowl in years. I may even wake up at 4am to eat some more. http://www.glutenfreeoats.com/

6 comments:

Denise Stears said...

Yeah for you. It must have been hard to give up all that yummy food you loved to eat. It must be hard for Meg to cook for you, I guess there is only so much she can cook. Are you grinding your own rice flour? I remember watching your mom do that. Yeah for Oatmeal, it is good!

Ellingsons said...

You have a good wife! Sometimes I have a hard enough time finding and thinking of food for us regular eaters, but for Meg to find good food and recipes for you is great.

Smelsha said...

Bradford, I'm so happy for you! Oatmeal IS good.

. said...

Celiac's of the world, unite!

Anonymous said...

hey, keep posting stuff like this; my mom has celiac and it's great to let her know there are options out there.

Thanks!

ps Hi Meg!

meg said...

Hey Natalie!
If you haven't seen it already, you could also check out my cooking blog--it's under family links, called Meg Cooks. I'm trying to share all the good gluten-free recipes and products I find because I see how hard it can be for people, especially those are first diagnosed. Hope your mom is feeling good and feel free to send her here--if she wants more info, we'd be happy to email her.
Also, I could not ask for a better guinea pig. Brad is a great cook himself and has been very patient with me as I learn. We have fun figuring out new things to bake.