Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Boy Speaks

We ate dinner with family friends tonight, at their house. Grey was perched on a stool, above the table, drinking from a cup (not a sippy cup). He lifted his cup high and said, "All gone!" then tipped it over his head--spilling a lot of milk all over himself. So, not all gone, just all over Grey.
The look on his face was classic. No one was more surprised.
When Grey first started to talk, we taught him to say, "ta da!" when he was done with something. I've decided the only thing that would have made this pouring story even better was if he had said, "ta da!" instead of "all gone!"
We had a good laugh though, and Grey is fine. He was telling his knock-knock joke before dinner was done.
Grey's knock-knock joke:
Knock knock.
who's there?
nana.
banana who?
gibberish gibberish gibberish.
He cracks us up with that one every time.
We are still just cracking up that he talks so much. He has moved from saying "yeah" to yes/no questions (and saying nothing if his answer was no) to saying in a high-pitched voice, "I'ant moke," or, "I'ant home."*
He repeats everything we say, just about. Colors, objects, names, places. Some words are easier to understand than others. But really, I just find the whole process miraculous. He's so little, but he can tell us what he wants. He can say "pease!" and "sofff!" "go pay."*
Jane loves it, too. "He can talk now!" She says. She likes it best when he copies her.
Grey loves it when we understand him. We repeat his words back to him, and he always looks so pleased. This communication thing is all right with him.
Good night now. Or, in Grey's words, "ni-night." He's in the crib now, looking at Good Night Moon. He has to have a book or two in his bed, and he always looks at them before he goes to sleep. Nap or bedtime we leave him sitting in the crib, deedee on his shoulder, looking at books. Reading is a great way to end the day. I think I'll go read more or this now.

*I want milk. I want to go home. Soft (as in, be soft, don't hit. and then he rubs your face.) Go play.

7 comments:

Carolyn Ebert said...

Oh, you're going to be so glad that you have written this entry. You think you'll never forget such momentous occasions, but unfortunately, it happens. Enjoy every minute because this stage too shall pass...

what a cutie!

Lindsey said...

How adorable! What precious moments :)

faith said...

that is so great! i'm still waiting for my 19-mo-old to start talking. he babbles plenty and has a few words, but benny says plenty enough for him!
that was very fun to read, meg.

HayleyKirkland said...

Let's just skip Halloween and thanksgiving and go straight to Christmas. I want to see you and those kids!

Esther/Mom/Grandma said...

We miss you guys and watching the kids grow up! It will be fun to see Grey and Devin together - they may be able to talk to each other by then! Take care

Ellingsons said...

I can't believe he is talking so much. These kiddos grow and learn too quickly, but it sure keeps life fun and interesting.

Jessica Brown said...

Ok I'll say it for all the world to see. . . let it be known that I think Grey is one of the cutest kids I've ever had the privilege of knowing. There I said it.