Saturday, October 31, 2009

A Fairy and a Blue Jay

This year, we decided to split up the costume assignments. Jane really wanted to be a Fairy Princess, so Meg made sure that every little detail was exactly as Jane requested. Grey had no opinion, so I turned him into a Blue Jay.
Since I'm still learning the ropes on our new sewing machine, I did it by hand. This is what our living room looked like last Saturday.
We finished with barely enough time to make it to our ward Halloween party. Meg and I will make sure to dress up next year. Here are the final products:
Meg held a Halloween playgroup at our apartment on Friday, so our place was packed with sugared-up toddlers.
We had a wonderful dinner with our friends the Shaws before driving to Maple Valley to trick-or-treat with the Jergensens in Maple Valley.
Jane and her friend Jenna were very polite trick-or-treaters. They made sure to say "Thank You" and "Happy Halloween" as they sprinted from porch to porch. Grey racked up the most candy though. If somebody offered him a piece of candy, he would take it, and then look up at them again. After a few seconds, without fail, they gave him another piece.
Chad stayed home to hand out treats while we went door to door, and he counted 189 kids that came to his porch. It was the kind of neighborhood I used to dream about as a kid.
Finally, here's Grey showing off his favorite new phrase (besides "HEY YOU GUYS", that is).

7 comments:

Esther/Mom/Grandma said...

They both look so cute! How much fun you have with them! I miss my "little" kids, but it's fun having grandkids to plan for now. We had lots of fun with Devin at our ward Halloween Party.

Ellingsons said...

Did I read that right...Brad, are you learning the ropes to your sewing machine? Impressive. The costumes are really cute. Grey looks so much like Brett asleep in the carseat.

Kristin said...

I am so impressed with that bird costume. Brad, can you teach me to sew?

Lindsey said...

So impressed with the costumes! They looked great! Thanks for joining us trick or treating, it was a lot of fun!

Katie said...

Those costumes are awesome! Did you make them both from scratch? Wonderful. Also, I'm so happy to see that photo of felt mania all over your floor. I was worried my house was the only one that looked like that mid-project.

ashley said...

That's adorable!! Both of them. And Brad, wow....all by hand?? Wow. And Meg, I need some lessons on those wings. So adorable!!

Susan said...

Love the costumes. I remember those days. Halloween is the best!