Sunday, October 25, 2009

This Summer, Part Two--Camping at Kanaskat-Palmer


The Tent Palace of Singley

Our ward camp outs have become a tradition we look forward to in our house. No matter our intentions, the ward camp out means we will go camping at least once in the summer. We have been every year (three times now) since we moved up here, and it is just fun.
Our tent is ginormous--we could sleep 80 people in there. Just kidding, but it does have two rooms off the main part, and we had to divide our sleeping quarters. Until the kids are bigger, it made sense to have a girls wing and a boys wing. So I cozied up with Jane and slept relatively well while Brad did his best to comfort the overtired Grey. Grey finally figured out how much warmer he would be if he snuggled up with his dad, so I think they managed to get some sleep between Grey's wake-up-and-stand-up-spells.
Brad always helps the kids in the night when we are camping. They always end up bonding when we go out in the woods, and we loved seeing Grey feel closer to Brad after just one night. His kindness might have had something to do with the fact that when we woke up on Saturday I was suddenly older. Or not.
There's not a whole lot more to tell, so now I'll just show you some pictures. Most of our photos from this trip are of Grey for some reason . . .

By the Green River. Brad built the rock tower, which was at least the same height as Grey.



What's that coming down the trail? Should we run away?

It's getting closer . . .

Oh, it's a Grey! Let's take that one home with us.

So where was Jane in all of this?

Josh and Jane

Jane loved the camp out because she got to play with her friends from primary until bedtime and as soon as she woke up. Hence she is missing from a lot of pictures, though I did hang out with her by the river for a while. We threw rocks. Fun. This picture made us raise our eyebrows a bit, but mostly it makes us laugh--look how excited he is to have his arm around Jane? Josh camps with his family a lot and as long as he's good, he gets to whittle with his pocket knife. I just wanted to share that random fact because I love it.
In conclusion, camping is great. It is probably our very favorite ward activity. We get to know people so much more around the campfire when there is lots of chocolate around. And camping on your birthday is not so bad, especially if your children are not eaten by bears.


Grey stars in: "I did it!"

2 comments:

Esther/Mom/Grandma said...

Your kids are so cute! I love watching them "grow up" on your blog, since we see you so rarely these days. Have a fun Fall!

Katie said...

Happy (very late) birthday! That's fun. That Josh character looks like he's putting the moves on Jane. But he does knows how to whittle, and I respect that. Also, I like her shirt. I'd wear it.