With Thanksgiving coming up, I feel like I won't feel too sad that we've eaten the last of our summer blackberries and raspberries from the freezer (but not the blackberry jam!) or that my basil plant has gone the way of the world. And I don't think you'll be too sad in the wake of turkey and stuffing and pies either, so here we go.
(note: not the haircut, just a ponytail.) This does not adequately show the deliciousness of our anniversary Mexican feast at Cactus in Alki. I could eat their Camarones forever. I was so impressed with Brad for finding this place--he ate gluten-free and we ate outside with a view of the Sound (Brad gave me the view of the Sound, sweet man).

The Fourth of July weekend I headed to my favorite produce shop, Top of the Hill. Golden raspberries are a new favorite around our house. Topping fresh lime ice with these berries was the best treat ever ever (thank you, Rick Bayless.)
I made (gluten-free) key lime pie. It was heaven.

Brad made freezer blackberry jam from many of the blackberries we picked. He also made blackberry pie.
We made Summer rolls. I loved that when we made this dinner, Jane could help a lot. She made her rolls (chicken, cabbage, carrots), then ate most of her rolls!
I heard about Trophy Cupcake and Party from a dear friend, and finally decided to make a trek to Wallingford to check it out. We were not disappointed.

Triple chocolate, lemon strawberry, + Jane.
The party supplies. So charming.

Lemon. I love the way they are decorated--they're beautiful, but not too beautiful to eat.
I wondered if any of Trophy's recipes were available online and discovered her Chocolate Graham Cracker Cupcakes with Toasted Marshmallow. The marshmallow plus this graham cracker recipe from 101 Cookbooks led to these:

gluten-free s'mores, with gluten-free graham crackers. Making marshmallow was highly enjoyable, as was using a toothpick to draw lines and dots on the homemade crackers. These may have to make another appearance at Christmas time in California.
And now Thanksgiving is nearly here. It is one of my favorite holidays--a holiday about FOOD and gratitude and family? Yes, please! I'll have seconds!
If you're still with me, I would love to hear--what are your favorite Thanksgiving dishes and treats? Is there something that must make it to your table? Anything you cannot allow? (Brad has vetoed my idea to make cheesecake this year--which really, is just as well!) What are you doing for Thanksgiving?
7 comments:
mmmm... robbie is actually the one that got me into thanksgiving. we don't have any set traditions in my family so it's nice to have his enthusiasm. my parents are coming to va so we are packing into my sister's dining room! so many people i love and hopefully my brother in law will brine the turkey again.
here is my fave stuffing recipe--probably full of gluteny goodness, otherwise i would make you promise to make this.
http://phoebers.blogspot.com/2006/11/but-dont-say-word-to-that-silly-old.html
Yum Yum! You are making me hungry. I love to cook and try new recipes.
For Thanksgiving we are going to by brother-in-laws house who lives just north of Seattle :) Can't wait for all the food!
I play the same role you do (love food and love making memories with it) and Rich sounds like your husband:) I'm always looking for a fun ice cream parlor or cafe or something on trips or here in Philly. That cupcake place looks wonderful! We don't have any set Thanksgiving traditions yet, but I'm excited this year to try some new pie recipes. I want to know what yummy things you're having and see pictures of them too!
I would love for those s'mores to appear in California! Maybe someday I will find the love of cooking that you have, for Byron's sake.
We're bringing butternut squash soup (a savory version, this time), almond-crusted green beans, and pumpkin cheesecake to our feast. Can't wait...
That all looks delish!
We're going to Zach's cousins' house. Which is just as well, because I'm on an Indian, Mexican and Asian food kick and they don't really lend themselves to Thanksgiving.
oh meg- you are a woman after my own heart. happy thanksgiving to your cute family!
my thanksgiving must have=grandma joy's cransalsa (cranberries mixed with yes, a jar of salsa). i love how it jazzes up ordinary cranberries.
Post a Comment