Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Evolution of Nicknames


Flora sits in the high chair, attacking her toys with drooly ferocity; we can't help but laugh at her cuteness. She makes us laugh a lot. Jane will come up to us giggling, and say, "She's just so cute!"
I ask Brad how we came to the nickname "Florby." Brad came up with it, but somehow his nicknames are catchy and I find myself calling her Florby all the time.
It started as Florba the Greek, a variation on Zorba the Greek, and has since shifted to Florby. Florbus, Florbalicious, Florbalino are other variations; sometimes it comes out simply Flor, Florb, or the Flerb. "The b emphasizes her blubbiness," Brad says.
Sometimes I call her Pearlie, which just emphasizes to us that this little girl has two old lady names. I love it.

Flora is a fantastic baby. at 5.5 months, she:
*weighs 16 pounds
*is teething with much drool and very few complaints
*sleeps at least twelve uninterrupted hours at night in her crib in her own room
*likes to sleep with a blanket on her face.
*loves her big brother and sister
*giggles the most for Brad
*falls asleep on my shoulder at church (it's my favorite)
*sits up for a few seconds, unsupported
*has rolled from her tummy to her back 6 times, and 1 time (yesterday) from her back to her tummy
*has slightly more hair than her older siblings at this age. This makes me laugh because she is still quite bald. We celebrate the small stuff.
*squeals happily when she wakes up in the morning
*arches her back until she almost bends backwards out of the bumbo
*is happiest when she's being held.

We love our little Flora Pearl.

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

I love that you love when she falls asleep on your shoulder...that is one of the best things in life and I love it too!

faith said...

What a cute little girl you've got! And I love all the nicknames. So fun to see how they evolve.

Brian, Emily, Charlie, and Lucy said...

She is SOOOOO cute! And I love her nicknames -- how funny that Brad's names stick, its the same here. Brian started calling Charlie "Charlie Boy" after he was born and "boy" has ever since been attached to his first name. I want Flora and Lucy to be best friends - they sound so similar! (And Lucy has that same shirt - it is my FAVORITE!) What a beautiful family you guys have:)

Katie said...

She is adorable! And those nicknames really suit her. She must be such a wonderful little girl!

Deja said...

I love nicknames. Florby is good one: the name and the girl.

D.Jones said...

The old lady names are great! I am a fan. And nicknames are so fun! I the the flerb is so funny!

D.Jones said...

....that is

"I think (emphasis on think) 'the flerb' is so funny!" :)