"And please bless that I won't be afraid of goblins," Jane prays. Our candy is mostly gone, the costumes are put away, but Jane's fear of goblins has lingered. She heard a creepy story at the church Halloween party and can't get scary images of the creatures out of her mind. She hesitates before walking down the darkish hallway to the bathroom.
"It's not even dark outside," we tell her. "But you can turn on the hall light."
Still, Jane's uncertain.
Still, Jane's uncertain.
"I feel like goblins are going to chase me," she says.
We can't argue with her fears. We can't reason them out of her. She can't help how she's feeling. She's scared.
Bedtime is hard. Jane feels confined in her bed--there's nowhere to run away to if the goblins come after her.
"Next year maybe we shouldn't go to the Halloween party if they're telling scary stories," she says. We strike a deal--next year, she doesn't have to listen to any scary stories. Jane wipes away a tear. "Thanks, mom."
I sit on her bed for a few minutes; she holds my hand with both of her hands, close to her heart. I tell her to close her eyes. She looks peaceful. I feel needed. But I can't stay forever.
"I'll come check on you in five minutes," I tell her. It's the only way I can get her to release me without any tears.
"I was just going to say that," she says. I close her door slowly, losing my view of Jane in her bed, cozy, clutching her DeeDee and bunny for comfort. The red heart nightlight gives off a soft glow. Grey is already asleep. Soon Jane will sleep too, away from her conscious fears.
It's time to go check on her as promised.
6 comments:
Jane needs a song to get her through this. This is what my mom taught me: I sang it when scared. It really worked.
When you're all alone in the country and you're hiding in a ditch. Just be bold, cause you've been told..there's no such thing as a witch. Skeletons and goblins are only make believe. Folks dress up in costumes. Just try to scare you.Oooo. Oooo. When you hear the thunder and lightning and the night is dark as pitch. Just cry out, without a doubt..There's no such thing as a witch.
Oh no! That breaks my heart that she is so scared. And by Little Orphan Annie! I memorized that when I was five of six and would recite it at talent shows and during Halloween parties. I hope my performances didn't give anyone nightmares. . . .
That poor poor thing:( You are such a great mom.
oh, she's so fun! even if it is scary... what would you do with out her imagination... Thats the thing with having such a creative mind...sometime it's hard to control :) We love Jane.
I read that story when I was little and it really scared me, too, even though I liked the first part. I was afraid of goblins for quite awhile. I hope she gets over it soon!
This is so tragically beautiful. The boys are going through some leftover Halloween frights as well. They're ending up in bed with us many nights because of scary dreams. If you figure something out, let me know.
Post a Comment