Saturday, May 24, 2008

Mule Days



For those of you who who don't know, I am originally from Bishop, California: The Mule Capital of the World. Apparently Lathrop, Missouri Enfield, Illinois, and Columbia, Tennessee also claim to be the Mule Capital of the World, but I know better.

Every Memorial Day weekend Bishop's population goes from 10,000 to 100,000, as "Flat-landers" drive up from Southern California, put on cowboy hats, and pretend to be cowboys for the long weekend. That's the perception, but really I'm always surprised to see tons of out of state license plates that say things like "MULDAYS," "ILVMULS" or "HALFASS." Vendors sell mule-themed merchandise at the fairgrounds, the Paiutes sell delicious indian tacos and shaved ice, great country music (from real country singers, not boy bands or Australian wannabes), but the best part are the mule shows.

Mule shows are way better than traditional rodeos. They have regular calf-roping and barrel racing events, but they also include some less common events:


Packer Scramble


Mule Chariot Racing


Coon Jump


Mule Racing


This guy's title was "First Place in Western Fancy Man." I have no idea what that means, but it is now my life's ambition to earn that title.

May happens to be one of the best times to visit the Eastern Sierra. The weather is great, wild irises are blooming, fishing is excellent, and the rocks are begging to be climbed. Happy Mule Days everyone.

5 comments:

Paul said...

Ah, Bishop. The only town in California that people have heard of less than Ridgecrest. All in all, it was a pretty sweet place though.

Greg and Tammy said...

And a Happy Mule Day to you Singleys as well!! Sorry about the "nature" fiascos! No fun at all! At least you don't live in AZ where we avoid nature like the plague because nature in AZ is too darn hot. :)

Jordan said...

People are always super impressed when they tell me they're from Bishop and I mention something about mules.

The Nortons said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Nortons said...

Brad, do you know that I have never been to Mule Days. It's one of my biggest regrets. We spent so many summer weeks in Bishop visiting your family, but never once did my parents plan it so we could be there over Mule Days (my Dad might have done that on purpose).

One day I will take my children.

love,
ky