Jane comes out from her room twice tonight, which means I tuck her in a total of three times. For her second appearance, she comes over to me and whispers loudly, "I have a surprise for you, mom."
"What is it?" I ask, trying not to sound too annoyed as I sigh my response.
"Love!" and then she comes closer and hugs my legs.
You can't get mad at that. Really. But you can tuck it in and tell it not to come out anymore, then feel relieved that the reading light isn't on tonight, then pretend your lips are stuck to her cheek in an eternal kiss and only she can release them to safety.
Then you can sneak out of the nursery quickly as the Other One stirs in its crib, the one who took an hour and a half to fall asleep, the one who spent so much energy yelling (happily) you don't know how he lasted so long.
Then when they're both asleep you can miss them terribly and sneak in to see which way they've kicked off their covers and note any wardrobe changes. No legs are stuck this time, and you can almost inhale the happy dreams in the air.
I love our kids. I love having them in the same nursery. I love watching them sleep. I love that they pause long enough to hug me when they're awake.
June Lately...
4 weeks ago
8 comments:
Bravo Meg. What a great writer you are. That threw me back many years to the time that I experienced those same emotions. Thanks for putting it to print. Happy Mothers DAy. You are a wonderful mom.
What beautiful writing Meg. You described those emotions dead on. Thanks for sharing. I hope you had a fanstastic Mothers day.
happy mother's day to you! what a joy to read and reflect. i loved having h and t in the same nursery too...
it isn't just me! I LOVED this Meg! One of the strangest phenomenons of mother hood how much I miss those little ones when they are asleep!
Ah, yes. I know those same feelings. I love it. And I love that little Jane for coming into your room to tell you all about love.
I love the way you write. On those kind of nights you can either get frustrated or love it, and it's so much more fun to love it.
Absolutely wonderful. Being a mom rocks.
Post a Comment