Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I Don't Sleep, I Dream

I tend to have vivid dreams anyway, but my dreams are especially vivid and kooky when I'm pregnant. Once, when I was pregnant with Jane, I dreamed my stomach was see-through and Jane was just looking out at us. She looked a bit like an alien.
A couple nights ago I had a dream with very clear influences of what I was doing or thinking about before sleeping. Observe.
The Petrie Sofa. Translated in my dream: my parents were Rob and Laura Petrie.
New York. Translated in my dream: visiting my Petrie parents in our old NYC corner apartment. It was set on a very steep hill under a freeway.
I don't know where this last bit came from, but a guy came to our place and told us stories about his childhood there, and how he and his brother used to watch their mom hit on guys in the amusement park below their building. The boys would cheer her on and tell her who they thought would be a good daddy by chanting down to her, "Shake it that way, shake it that way, he's the one that we want."
Another highlight of the dream (aside from being Petrie offspring, of course): my dad got out of a conversation with said guy after he was telling us about his difficult childhood. He was chewing gum and said, "This gum tastes old. It appears I did not chew it according to the instructions on the package." And he said it like Mitch Hedberg would have said it.

4 comments:

Greg and Tammy said...

That's a funny dream. They are so unusual sometimes, huh? I wonder if you remember more wacky dreams while you're prego because you wake up more to adjust or pee? Then you lurch out of REM and remember what you were dreaming? Dreams are so fascinating.

Hayley said...

Oh man I hope I have a dream like that tonight. Dick Van Dyke reruns, here I come!

Esther/Mom/Grandma said...

Sounds kind of like the weird dreams I have. How are you liking your new place?

Katie said...

That is awesome. I love it.