Thursday, May 13, 2010

The City's Backyard

We picked up some breakfast at a little deli/grocery type place and checked our bags at the Pod. With six hours until we could check into our room, we decided to go north, toward Central Park.
























We could tell buildings were famous, we just didn't always know what they were.













We knew this one: The Plaza + carriages. Seeing the Plaza made me think of Eloise and Bill Pullman in Sleepless in Seattle saying, "We can stay at the Plaza."

We tried to relax in the park, but a cold breeze made it difficult, so we decided to head down to SoHo. And can I just say thank heaven for our MetroCards? They really saved us a lot.
We made it back to the park a couple times--once to catch up with some friends. We sat in Sheep's Meadow and soaked in the New York atmosphere. I think my favorite was walking past a drum circle of college kids, some wearing yamakas and singing "Wonderwall" by Oasis.
Our last visit to Central Park was more of a walk through--we exited the Subway at the Museum of Natural History on the west side and walked through the park to get to Museum Mile on the east side. We were supposed to leave the night before, but our flight was canceled, so we spent our bonus day hopping around the city taking in a few last sites. It seemed fitting to walk through Central Park on our last day in the city. It's amazing how calm and peaceful it is.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

It's so fun to see all the pics! And I loved the video. I went to Manhattan for the day with a friend yesterday and finally got to do MOMA (and recognized some of your pics). Your staring people were weirder than our staring people :)

Whitney said...

Love reading about your New York trip. Here's a link I think you'll like: images of what New York would have looked like before it was a city. http://themannahattaproject.org/

Whitney said...

I published that last comment before I was ready. Anyway, you can layer images of the city now over the natural images and type in specific landmarks. Pretty amazing. To learn about how they did it, you can watch a great presentation at http://www.ted.com/talks/eric_sanderson_pictures_new_york_before_the_city.html

Katie said...

This must have been such an amazing trip. I'm so glad you guys could go! And I'm a little jealous. But mostly excited for you.

Carolyn Ebert said...

i'm so happy you two got to take this amazing trip. i once joined a pick-up game of volleyball in central park when i was traveling by myself. there's just something about new york that empowers people. i'd certainly never do that anywhere else!