Thursday, May 27, 2010

Classic Answer of the Day

"Grey, what happened? Why did you rip the book?"
"Because I ripped it," says Grey.
"Did you rip it on purpose?"
"Uh-huh."

I am not used to having a toddler who rips books. Jane wasn't much of a ripper. There was a book incident once: it ended with me explaining to an Orem librarian that my daughter had nibbled on Eats, Shoots, and Leaves. We have it still, if you ever want to see or borrow it.
Grey does really well for the most part, but he has destroyed several books in his short life. I should point out, though, that some of these were board books that were new when Jane first had them, and the toll of one toddler--a dented corner here, a torn piece of cover there--proved too much temptation for his busy hands. He has unraveled the zoo animals of Polar Bear Polar Bear What Do you Hear? He liked the last flap of Baby Danced the Polka so much he ripped it out. I wanted to buy the book anyway, but now we have this copy where the last page has a headless dream baby.

I would be more curious, but Grey really loves books. Sometimes I worry that the little guy isn't making enough noise--isn't that usually a sign of trouble?--so I search for him, bracing for a huge mess. Most of the time, I find him in the nursery, sitting on the floor with a pile of books, paging through one quietly. He sneaks books at bedtime, and it's not unusual to find him curled in his bed in a stash of books he's been perusing by nightlight. One of the first places he recognized without our help: the library. Almost every time we go somewhere in the van he asks, "Can we go to the library?"

Grey's favorites: Goodnight Moon, "Babar Colors" (Babar's Book of Colors), "Babar Counting," (Babar's Book of Counting) Pajama Time (ooooooh yes!), The Belly Button Book, Cecily G and the 9 Monkeys, Little Hoot, Piggies, and the Pig and Elephant Books.

4 comments:

Kelsey said...

Macey is also a book lover and book ripper. It's always the ones she loves that suffer the most pain.

We have many books with entire bites taken out of them, and I currently have a pile of "to be fixed" books on my desk.

Let me know if you break Grey of this habit, as I am still trying to figure out what to do with Macey.

lizzie said...

"Because I ripped it." That sounds familiar. :) In fact, the whole post sounds familiar. Simon and Grey should be friends. They can sit in the corner and read books next to each other.

Katie said...

Flawless logic. We've had a couple of encounters with the library. Always a little awkward.

Swenson Family said...

I still love the book "Piggies" you gave me for Jessica's shower and the Bunnies Counting book... Although I have added tape and glue to the Bunnies book, and I think the cover of Piggies is beyond repair... But I TRIED and they stayed nice through Jessica, but Kelsi has done a number on books.