Brad and I departed from dear Seatac airport at 10pm on a Wednesday. Red-eye. Brad spent most of the flight watching "The Cosby Show" on Nick at Nite; lucky me with the window seat tried to sleep and mostly succeeded. I woke up with about one hour left of the flight, over one of the great lakes. I wondered if the sky would ever get light, especially since we would be landing at 6am Eastern time. The sky started to light up more and more, and then I saw skyscrapers. We flew in over Manhattan and had a snow globe view of the Big Apple. Times Square. Empire State Building. (Tiny) Statue of Liberty. Hudson River. I could have picked it up and put it in the palm of my hand.
That was my first experience realizing how *small* New York is.

We landed at JFK, in full morning light. About five hours of sleep between us. We admired the design of the terminal and looked it up--our good friend Saarinen did a beautiful job with our gateway to New York.
Air Train. Subway. The train was pretty crowded with morning commuters. We did our best not to look too haggard or lost as we tried to determine which stop was closer to our hotel. We guessed wrong.
Our walk was cold in the shade of the skyscrapers, but the sky was so blue--no clouds in sight. We could tell it was going to be a beautiful day.
2 comments:
It sounds great already. I'm excited to hear the rest.
I was pretty shocked that the Statue of Liberty wasn't bigger. I pictured it the size of a sky scraper.
Post a Comment