Saturday, August 28, 2010

"Get Lost."
















"Let's play 'Get Lost,'" Jane says to me. This has become a favorite game. We attribute it to watching Annie and Alice in Wonderland. Jane plays a little girl who is lost and often cold. She comes to knock on our door, or wanders up to us after running through the "rain" (sprinklers) for a while.
















Often her family has all died--sometimes mysteriously, often tragically. "They got fired," she tells us sadly.
She has no place to go, and she just finds our "cottage" and wonders if the "nice people who live here" will help her.
















Sometimes we say no, at first. But then we end up remembering we have some dry clothes that will fit her just right. She puts them on.
She's hungry, too, so we invite her to stay for dinner. And usually it ends there, but sometimes, this little orphan also needs a bed to sleep in, so we offer the random extra bed we have and agree that she can stay with us for a while.
And then she is happy.
Sometimes she's not alone, that wanderer. Sometimes she has a little brother. Or a dad. They're always so relieved to find our "cottage."
















She usually pretends to be in rags, or that she doesn't have clothes. One time she stripped down in the backyard and knocked on the backdoor to play "Get Lost," but we drew the line there. "No stripping outside," we said.
We don't know how long she will stay, but we figure as long as she's happy, we'll keep her, and be her family.













7 comments:

faith said...

That is so stinkin' funny! She definitely has the curly hair for Annie. What a great imagination. I love it.

Cassie Gadd said...

I'm so glad you documented this. There's nothing more romantic than being an orphan.

Jennie Larsen said...

What great memories! Love the imaginations of little ones! And I love her curly hair. What a doll!

kathy w. said...

She is too adorable.

I love that the way to make the little "orphan" happy is to let her wear her own clothes and sleep in her own bed. What a cute way for her to say she loves her life just the way it is.

Carolyn Ebert said...

Adorable! This brings back wonderful childhood memories of playing house on the porch with the brick ledge as my piano and the milkbox as my bench. Carmen and I would venture into the woods (next door) and pick grapes and raspberries for our supper, that is until the scary old witch that lives in the "woods" caught us and told my mom. That's when we moved on to San Francisco Visitor Information center. Using small lotion bottles as telephones, souvenir menus,and a map, we spent hours answering tourists' questions about the city by the bay... Jane is my kind of girl :)

Deja said...

Cute game for Jane to play, and beautiful writing, Meg. I felt like I was reading ... something. A short story? A poem? Something good.

Deja said...

Cute game for Jane to play, and beautiful writing, Meg. I felt like I was reading ... something. A short story? A poem? Something good.