Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Heart of Life


http://flickr.com/photos/randomthursday/190483125/

Do you ever feel like your life has a soundtrack? Sometimes it's only made up of annoying songs I hear on the radio, or listen to with toddlers, but it seems like there's always some tune to hum and make my toes tap. Today I'm alternating between two--"The Hardest Part" by Coldplay and "The Heart of Life" by John Mayer. I'm reveling in this moment where "my" music is winning out over, say, "Camptown Races," and running these simple lines from John Mayer over and over through my brain:

You know it's nothing new
Bad news never had good timing
But then the circle of your friends
Will defend the silver lining

Pain throws you heart to the ground
Love turns the whole thing around
No, it won't all go the way, it should
But I know the heart of life is good

Speaking of silver lining, it has been sunny in Seattle two out of the last four days. Cold, but not so dark. And life goes on here--the grass and the evergreens hold onto their greenness and keep even the darkest days from looking too bleak. Most days I still catch my breath at how beautiful the dense trees are with a light fog moving through, and how miraculous it seems that there can be blue skies without a single cloud in sight. But then life is full of miracles. And beauty. And John Mayer is absolutely right--the heart of life is good.

5 comments:

Brad said...

You're not leaving me for John Mayer are you?

kirsten said...

The heart of life IS good! probably my favorite John Mayer song - reminds me of listening to him in the car on those trips to Provo every week to see you and Jane.

Ellis said...

Very good post.

. said...

i have the utmost respect for people who can stick out a dark winter in the northwest, let alone find the beauty in it, nice.

Jessica Brown said...

That song sounds great. Actually I'll tell you what? Why don't I just stop by in a week or so and listen to it myself? :)

I'm excited to come out there. Nothing motivates my packing efficiency like the below freezing weather outside and pictures of beautiful snowless seattle! Gott go pack. . :)