Thursday, January 24, 2008

My Mom's Fight


Pink tulips: My mom's favorite flower.

The last nine days have been some of the most interesting and complex of my entire life. The quick version: my mom has ovarian cancer and will undergo surgery tomorrow.
I haven't known how to write about it before now, at least not in a way to tell other people. I wanted to wait until we knew something for certain, and now we are pretty certain. Her surgeon is an expert in ovarian cancer specifically, and we have reason to believe that she has some quality time left. Her time here may be shorter than we previously thought, but it may also be longer than we are currently anticipating.
All things considered, we are doing fine. Before now, cancer was almost completely foreign to me--something that affected other people but never me. But that seems to be part of the disease. No one plans on cancer, no one aspires to it. Cancer does not wait for an invitation: it crashes the party.
But the party can go on. We still laugh; we still sing; we still appreciate sunny days. I don't know what the future holds for my mom, but when do we ever, really? I do know this: families are forever, Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us, and He is watching over my mom, my dad, my family here in Seattle, and our family and friends everywhere. It's still hard: when you hear the word "cancer" your mind goes to the inevitable thoughts of death. But I also know that no matter how much time my mom has here, she will meet her grandson, she will hold him; she will read to Jane; we will eat Indian food together; and no matter what happens in this life, she will never be far away.
My dad put it best: "Mortal life is full of adventure, and she is feeling adventurous...who knows? She might outlive me."

10 comments:

Kirsta and Morian said...

Meg, my heart goes out to you and your family, especially your mom. I'd heard she something was wrong, but it's sad to hear it's cancer. I hope everything goes well with the surgery tomorrow. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers!

Esther/Mom/Grandma said...

Just wanted to let you know how much we love you all and how we hope and pray all will go well for your mom, and that there will be many more happy days together here on the earth. We are praying for her and all of you and are comforted in knowing that our Heavenly Father loves her and is aware of her and all of you and this struggle. I know how much she loves you guys and how happy she has been to be a grandma. Take care. We send our love.

Susan said...

That was the most poignant post. I should have expected such maturity but it felt good to read it. You come from good people. We really enjoy your mom and dad. We love all of you. We are with you Meg. We're having faith in modern miracles and the skillful hands of Huntsman Center specialists. Thanks for the post.

Brian said...

Thank you Meg for your post. I know the Holy Ghost can bring peace in these situations. From Jenny's and my experiences with it we have learned as Elder Snow said in last general conference that, "As a family we learned, strangely enough, that cancer is a disease of love." It sounds like your feeling that too. God Bless.

Denise Stears said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope everything goes well for your mom and your family. I hope she has a successful recovery. You are in our prayers.

Becky said...

Meg, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I hope her surgery goes as well as it possibly can, and that you will all find peace during this time.

Brianne said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I hope her surgery is a success and that you will have many more fun times together for a long time to come.

. said...

bless your dad's heart, what a great insight. best wishes to you and your fam meg

Smelsha said...

Oh Meg, I'm sorry to hear that. I really appreciated your thoughts. I hope things went well today. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Jodie said...

We're praying for your family's peace during such a rough time. We hope her surgery is successful.