Sunday, January 24, 2010

I'm Just Mad About Saffron

I love Indian food. My reasons are partly sentimental and partly because it is simply delicious. I also find warm, spicy food incredibly satisfying when it's cold and wet outside. My love for Indian food is always true--but when I am pregnant, it turns into something of a madness. Especially this time around. Tikka masala, curries, basmati rice, korma, naan....I could eat it every day for the duration of this baby-incubating and be very happy indeed. Thai food and stirfries are quite satisfying, too. The hotter the better. Of course we can't eat out every night, so I am trying to use my cravings as an excuse to learn to cook more foods of--or reminiscent of--the Eastern world.
Tonight we are having chicken tikka masala and saffron rice. I have never cooked with saffron before, and I'm quite excited to try it--even if I did buy it at World Market for much less than I have ever seen it and I have some question about its flavor. I don't seem to have the right fruits to pull off a lassi, but I think some "homemade" frozen yogurt with blueberries will suffice. This baby girl is balanced, after all: she craves her spicy and savory, then desires sweet and tangy and cold, some ice cream or frozen yogurt to help bring down the heat.

5 comments:

Cassie Gadd said...

Blech! Ugh!
I'll appreciate this in a month, perhaps. Now, I'm going to go vomit. :) Not really. But maybe.

Lindsey said...

Mmmm, you do make a wonderful Thai Curry. I bet your creations will turn out fantastic! Good choices baby girl :)

Katie said...

Heavens! That sounds good. Maybe you could send me some in a little baggie? Please! I'll settle for the recipes.

Brad said...

Not only did she make this delicious meal, but she let me take the last serving to work for lunch today. Mmmmm. Enjoy a tall glass of Ensure, Cassie.

Carolyn Ebert said...

indian food- you know it's in the genes. shrimp coconut korma, chicken tikka masala, and garlic naan-absolutely perfect comfort food. don't even get me started on saffron-i have dreams of making the perfect paella. i brought saffron home from spain in the cutest little corked jar. my jar is empty now. wish i could convince craig that i need to go back to spain for a refill.