Friday, January 15, 2010

Rex & Lulu wish Grandma a Happy Birthday

Today is my mom's birthday, and I've been thinking about her all day. I am so glad I was with her, and my dad, just a couple weeks ago. I loved seeing them with their grandkids. We laughed as we went through my elementary school papers. In third or fourth grade I wrote in a paper about myself, "I am a pack rat. I don't throw anything away," and I seem to have been true to my words. Since I have a strange, disconnected memory, it was especially fun to look back.
I think of my mom's resolution for last year: "To live to see Christmas," she said, and she kept it. I don't know what her resolutions are this year, but I hope, perhaps against hope, that there are fewer bumps in the road than there have been. Or that, at least, she can continue in her gentle strength and grace and glides along for many years to come.
Rex and Lulu, as you might have guessed, are Grey and Jane. Jane's nickname Lulu comes from her middle name, Luella. Today she told me she doesn't want to call Grey by his name anymore, and I told her about nicknames. She started with Dinosaur, which went to T-Rex, then simply Rex. I then tried to tell her he might not answer to Rex since he's used to us calling him Grey or Grey-grey. "Rex!" she called and he looked right at her. Tonight, however, I asked if he is Rex and he said, "Noooooh!" in that sweet toddler yes/no question game way. So they are Rex and Lulu, if only for Grandma's birthday. Hereafter, Lulu will appear again (especially since Jane can write it so easily) and Rex may make an appearance--if Lulu remembers him.

No comments: