Wednesday, December 5, 2007

I love my job

For those of you who don't know what I do, I am a hydraulics engineer at Northwest Hydraulic Consultants. I mostly do flood modeling for FEMA. I use computer programs to determine where water will flow during a storm. Usually it's a typical desk job, but I get to do field work from time to time.

On Monday we got a call from a client in Bothell, WA. We are doing a study for them to determine if the levees on a nearby creek will hold in the event of a major storm. The image below shows the boundaries of the creek inside the levees.



They wanted us to go take measurements of the creek. By the time we got there, the whole area had been evacuated, so we had to go on foot. When we got to the creek the water was just inches from overtopping the levees. The image below shows the water rising almost to the top of the levee. I'm sure we looked like idiots wearing slacks and dress shirts in the middle of this flood.



We spent a few hours making high water marks so that we can come back later with survey equipment. We will make a computer model of the creek later. Fortunately, the levees held up. The water spilled over the top at one spot, but sandbag crews took care of it pretty well.

It was almost 60 degrees that afternoon, so it was very comfortable even when we were up to our ankles in water. Here is a picture of a bridge that almost washed out.



The water is about 3 inches away from pouring over the top of the road. Click on it to see it better. I was like a kid in a candy shop running around that day. When we came back soaking wet my boss told me to go and buy myself some waterproof gear at REI and charge it to the company. Could the day get any better?

6 comments:

Ellis said...

That's so cool that you're doing stuff you love.

Denise Stears said...

What a perfect job for you Brad. You have always liked the rain and the huge puddles it made, in this case you have rivers of water to play/work in.

b-ryce said...

that sounds like a fun job!

Greg said...

Fun to read about this work adventure!

Better? Only if he said "And be sure to pick up a $1000 gift card for your in-laws." :-)

jamie t. said...

what a great day! I couldn't believe all the rain even down here in Portland. I felt like the rain was never going to stop! yikes

. said...

dude, i submit that nothing beat free stuff from rei, except maybe all you can eat free popsicles from the ice cream man on a hot summer day.