
Some of you know I studied film in college with an emphasis in critical studies and screenwriting.
I left my college experience excellently equipped to construct a screenplay or whip out a sitcom, and an elitist sensibility that great films could not exist without great writers. I would love to go on about how glamorous and incredible the life of a screenwriter is, to share my brilliant, earth-shattering script ideas with all of you, but alas, I cannot write more.
I am on strike. I have been since 2005.
The WGA joined me on November 5th, and it looks like we are in it for the long haul. I cannot back down until Hollywood executives proffer my fair share of their fat profit pie. I stand proudly beside Tina Fey, Greg Daniels, and David Shore, among countless others, even if it means reruns and mindless reality shows in the months ahead. I could wax philosophic about the correlation between "Big Brother" and the average American's weekly fast-food consumption, but already I think I have written too much.
We writers appreciate your continued support, or we accept your hostile frustration at going up the tube repeatedly to find there is nothing on. You're always welcome on the picket line with us. It's a lot more glamorous in Hollywood.

My friend Ben Stiller shows blue steel resolve on the picket line.
5 comments:
Way to stand firm, Meg. Stick it to the man!
this is art
Ms. Singley,
I regret to inform you that you have exceeded your monthly writing quota. Under the guidelines of this official strike, you must pay a fine of $100 (a typical writer's monthly salary). Please use more discretion next time, andtrytoavoidusingsomanywords.
I've been on a writing strike for eighteen months. It's a rough business, this.
I'm tempted to film a movie based on what you wrote here, just to make you a scab.
Post a Comment