Dear Dummies,
It has come to our attention that you like our car. You liked it so much, apparently, that you took it without telling or asking us. Perhaps this was by mistake, a lapse in judgment when you saw the metallic Honda Accord gleaming in the moonlight between 10pm last night and 8am this morning. You saw it and thought, "Hmm, '96. Now that was a year when they knew how to make cars. I shall make this one mine," and in your haste, you simply forgot to come and ask us before taking our sweet ride for a spin.
Perhaps you simply wanted to get the oil changed for us. Or to vacuum it out. Perhaps you thought to yourself, "I bet these new parents are tired. I will help them out by returning this car fully lubed and detailed," and then maybe you got hung up somewhere when you remembered that auto places are not open between 10pm and 8am. Huh.
Perhaps you were jealous. You thought to yourself, "These people must be loaded! Look at the two car seats in the back. And the two strollers in the trunk. And the detachable bike rack! I simply cannot resist, and I'm sure these folks have a whole fleet of cars. They won't even miss it."
Or maybe it's all just a joke. You couldn't sleep last night--at least, not before punking somebody. So you rolled out of your bed, broke into our car, and rolled out our gated complex, and just kept rolling. But what's the punchline?
For whatever reason, you have stolen our car. Our ONLY car. The one with two car seats (one seat, one base), two strollers, 135,000 miles (I watched it turn over on Saturday, very exciting), the faint odor of sour milk on really cold nights, a state-of-the-art temperature control system (pliers required), the standard stereo, sunflower seeds in the center console, and a large folder of MRI images of a man's tongue.
Wow. That really is a find. Congratulations!
Please feel free to replenish any gas you use. We are trying to economize.
Sincerely yours,
a guy who biked to work,
his wife who would have stayed home today anyway,
their daughter whose best friend is a Bad Guy,
and a boy named Grey.
PS--If you get this letter, don't forget to vote for Peep Show.
*Update: Our car is fine. The police found it about two miles from our house. The tank is still nearly full. There were ashes in the ash tray and our power adapter is missing...and that's all. Lucky us!
June Lately...
4 weeks ago
17 comments:
Oh my goodness! That is the saddest thing I've ever heard! I can't believe someone would do that. I'm so sorry! If it was Bad Guy, let me know and I'll kick his butt!
I'm so so sorry! I don't get people. I sure love a 96' too though. Good luck :(
Now we can be smarmy Seattlites with small carbon footprints. We might have to trade our kids in for some dogs though.
I'm so sorry to hear about your car - I hope your insurance will cover the loss and all. But what a cheap trick - I know I am supposed to be forgiving, but if I ever found out who did it, I would definitely feel like giving him/them a good punch in the nose and a kick in the derriere. So sorry!
Maybe it's the mom in me, but I'm most sick that the car seats and strollers are gone--sheesh!!! :)
Sorry about your bad luck. Hopefully something can be recovered.
update: they found the car near Maple Valley, about 15 miles away, if that. It looks fine...Brad is going to check it out this afternoon.
Oh my goodness. That is so horrible. I'm glad they found your car and I hope all is fine with it, the car seats, the strollers, etc. If you need a ride anywhere let me know, I'm seriously only 10 minutes away. Brad has my cell number.
that would really stink. i'm sorry it happened, but i'm glad you've got it back. i love your letter, though. very clever! :)
Man, that's crazy. Glad you got it back, and you gained some ashes as well! What a crazy adventure.
I just got back from picking up the car. I would have siphoned out the gas if I were them. That stuff is like gold lately.
It was actually about two miles away, so a pretty short joy-ride. There were some cigarette ashes in the ash tray, so I'm glad the ash tray got some use.
Here's the embarrassing part: When I saw the car, there were black smudges all over everything. The door handle, the rear-view mirror, the radio. I sat there trying to think of what it could be. I thought, "the thief must be a mechanic with grease on his hands, but why didn't he take the car to a chop shop and sell the parts?" Then I saw it: a fingerprint left on the rear-view mirror! "Maybe I should call the sheriff back and tell him that I found fingerprints. We may be able to catch...ah yes...I'm an idiot."
So glad to hear you got it back. That really raised my blood pressure earlier today. You can only wonder what was going through their head when they took it and what made them change their mind...
I am so happy for you that they found your car and all in good shape! What a blessing. Sorry I sounded so unforgiving. I just have a hard time understanding why people do some of the things they do....
Sorry to hear about your car!! Glad you got it back...
I am so glad that you found your car and there wasn't much damage done to it.
Brandon's friend got his car stolen here in Memphis. When he got it back the car was completely striped of everything, even the doors. I think his truck was even older then your car.
I feel your pain. When Harrison was a baby, our '91 Honda Civic was stolen, carseat, baby blanket, and all. It went missing from the Highland parking lot during Freak East,the rivalry basketball game with East High.
Found 24 hours later up Emigration Canyon absolutely trashed to the point of almost being totaled. The exterior was demolished-hammered, dented, scraped, scratched, and glass shattered while the interior was sliced up and given a mud bath. To add insult to injury, we realized they stole Craig's favorite tie from the glove compartment. Ironically, they tucked the carseat and baby blanket safely away in the trunk.
I suppose our idiots, like your idiot(s), figure it's bad karma to mess with babies. Your stolen car scenario could have been soooo much worse!
I'm so glad you guys got it back! I loved that letter. I secretly wish the people who stole it could read it, but then that would mean they could view your blog too, which would probably be unsafe. I'm glad you got it back!
What a positive approach to the situation...a letter. I'm glad that you got the car back!
Post a Comment