Monday, September 24, 2007

Jane=Polite Little Girl

Jane has started early with good manners. For about the last month she has consistently said "Thank you," "No thank you," and "Sorry."
I've talked about "thank you" before, and not much has changed there, except the clarity of those two sweet words. I'm really not sure there's anything sweeter than a sincerely grateful two year old. She can be mid-cry and still turn to me and say "thank you, mommy" when I open the door for her. I feel like one lucky, appreciated mom.
Jane has politely learned to decline offers of food as well as things she has to do--like go to bed. It's pretty hard not to smile during this kind of conversation. Example:
"Jane, let's put some clothes on and go outside."
"No, thank you."
Even when it's something she likes to do, sometimes she answers our suggestion with a "no thank you."
Her apologies are a little less logical but no less sweet. And they sound more like "Forry." She'll be in the middle of a tantrum, and she will turn to me and say, "I'm forry, mommy." We can always hug and make up, especially after that.


Jane on first.